The term “Cuban lunch” came into use before WWI, during the Spanish-American War. A Cuban Lunch was a soldiers rectangular chocolate ration, and the slang term held on in common use.
When looking to make a rectangular chocolate bar after the war, the Paulin Chambers company adopted the term for their new confection, which was chock full of Spanish peanuts.
To hold the bar, a red fluted wrapper was used, and NOTHING else. Yes, back in the day, bars were not individually wrapped in cellophane. That modern food development came along after the 1950’s, to improve shelf life and the safety of Canada’s food chain.
At it’s main plant, located at 311 Ross Street, Winnipeg, the Paulin Chambers plant dutifully churned out the 5cent bars for decades longer than other bars of similar size.
Up until the 1970’s, the chocolate was scooped by hand into each cup, but that made way for a mechanized depositor as modern factory practices affected the making of Canada’s dry goods.
Although still bearing the name Paulin Chambers painted boldly at the top, the factory changed hands many times. However, the group working there remained the same tight knit group of 400 workers who considered themselves “family”. At one point the plant was owned by Weston foods. And lastly, by Culinar.
Tell us your story!